Monday, January 21, 2013

A weekend on both sides of the stage

Saturday was the first gig of the year for me - playing drums with the Twangdogs and also the Rocky Horror Picture Show ensemble.  Like many gigs I've played, it started with more people on stage than in the audience.  When we kicked off with Richard and Linda Thompson's "Wall of Death", the musicians outnumbered the listeners seven to two, the two being Judy and a member of the Rocky Horror ensemble (the feature act, apparently). 

At that point one of my personal rules kicked in: when the musicians outnumber the audience, it is no longer a gig.  It is simply another practice.  Once I get past that fleeting moment of disappointment that it's not a full house with a waiting list in the lobby, I go into a different mindset, and I tend to feel more relaxed.  Fortunately, other musicians and friends appeared, so I was able to ease into the role of performer-musician rather than "just sittin' in" musician.

Then the Rocky Horror Picture Show ensemble took the stage.  Many, about half of them, were fellow Twangdogs dressed in Rocky Horror-appropriate attire, including Rich in a passable Dr. Frank-N-Furter getup, replete in platform heroes.  Steve Levitt, ensemble leader, played it rather safe in a pair of overalls.  For me, though - dark shirt and jeans.  I gave up dressing up for such occasions years ago - a benefit of age, if you ask me.

And the fun began.  I felt hideously unprepared for the set.  First off, I didn't sign up for the Rocky Horror class, so I never practiced with the other musicians.  I spent Wednesday and Friday cramming - trying to learn as many of the songs as possible.  It was a guessing game for me since I never did receive a set list.  Some songs - "Time Warp," "Light at the Frankenstein Place," "Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me" - I had figured out.  Fortunately, the other songs didn't have too many surprises - the movie is a musical, after all, so there won't be too many curves thrown - and I was able to get through the set without making a fool of myself.

I left feeling rather happy - the Rocky Horror set went much better than I expected, and I sensed an "end" of sorts of the Twangdogs.  Not that we're breaking up, but that our set list was in dire need of some new blood.  Yes, we're actually playing "Wagon Wheel", a song covered by some 85% of folk/country/rock bands in Chicago, and the subject of a Facebook post warning against cover bands playing overly tired songs.  For all I know the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is covering "Wagon Wheel" and it wouldn't surprise me.  Talking with Janna (fellow Twangdog and French maid in the Rocky Horror ensemble), it seems the time is right for all to start bringing new songs to the table. 

Sunday Judy and I saw the opening night of The Slingshot Tour, featuring Aoife O'Donovan and Gabriel Lahane, at Space in Evanston.  Aoife (pronounced Eva) is the lead singer for Crooked Still and has her own solo career as well.  We saw her in August and found her songs, influenced by Suzanne Vega, to be quite good.  (After the August show I described her music as being "autumnal," an assessment she apparently valued: "I love it!")  Gabriel has a CD out (which we bought) and his music is rather difficult to describe.  One song sounded as if Keith Jarrett recorded for Rounder Records (which I told Gabriel and he got a laugh out of it).  Gabriel's songs are a bit edgier than Aoife's, but they both work well with each other and the tour should do well - at least I hope it does.  These are two musicians (and the bassist, whose name escapes me right now, served the music quite well) deserving wider recognition.

And if anyone gets a chance to see a show at Space, I highly recommend it.  Last night's show was one of the best-sounding shows I've ever heard (kudos to the soundman).  The mix between voices and instruments was perfect.  It was one of those shows that will stay with Judy and me - and for all the right reasons.

2 comments:

Akron Rick said...

The...Twangdogs?

Akron Rick said...

I thought I signed in but it says I'm "unknown". I'm not well known but...sheesh. It's Rick Bohan.