Friday, January 25, 2013

Disco's Revenge

I got a bit antsy about sitting out a session at the Old Town School.  Of course, it didn't take long for me to swallowed up into a class - the Disco Ensemble.  And once again my Thursday nights are booked.

There's some sort of cosmic equity going on here, of course.  For those of you who remember disco's heyday, you'll remember which side of the fence you stood on - like Rush and White Castle hamburgers, you either loved it or hated it.  I was on the hate side of disco (Rush and sliders, on the other hand) - in fact, back then anything that didn't meet my fancy was pretty much deemed worthless (the thought of making an objective argument out of musical tastes crossed my mind more than once back then).  Disco seemed so...insipid.  I saw it as some screwy way to bridge the gap between young folks and their parents, one of those "fun for the whole family" things that Jerry Seinfeld said ends up being no fun for anyone.  That, I figured, accounted for disco's short shelf life - that and people cottoned on to the idea that the accompanying clothes looked stupid.  I had a semi-leisure jacket back then and I'll attest: not my best fashion idea.

And thirty-five years later, look where I end up - playing drums on a bunch of disco songs.  John, our instructor, hears nuances in the music that have slipped my ears, and he does a good job of arguing his point in between impromptu guitar lessons during the class.  I tell myself "You're paying your dues - when you go to the great beyond, it'll be nothing but prog, and you'll be playing the oddest time signatures, right next to the guy on mellotron."  Yup - I just keep telling myself that.

The class, however, isn't half bad.  We have some good musicians and some rather good singers in the class.  And, as I mentioned earlier, any practice is good practice.  If nothing else, stomping on the hi-hat and bass drum on the 2 and 4 is a test in placing the drum seat in the right place so I don't end up getting shin splints.

And the songs?  I'm trying to develop an appreciation for the songs, but I'm sorry - "Stayin' Alive," when you think about it, is rather silly.  "Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk / I'm a woman's man..."  Well, you sure couldn't tell from their singing.  And Robin Gibb touting his masculinity is a bit like Lindsay Lohan lecturing on the Federalist Papers - it's a stretch.  A real stretch.

Abba's "Dancing Queen" doesn't do much for me but affirm that the two guys in that band knew how to craft a pop tune.  (For whatever reason, Abba always seemed to get off easier in my hierarchy than other pop bands at that time.)  And The Emotions' "Best of My Love" was an eye opener for me.  After those vocalists hit those high notes that influenced other glass-shatterers like Mariah Carey - I did learn something: the song speeds up a click or two.  I think - correct me if I'm wrong - that it's Maurice White on drums.  I'm a bit surprised that the song would speed up like that, but John and I are in agreement.  So there you are - keep an open ear (and mind) and you'll be surprised what you'll learn.

I'm still wrestling with "Dream a Little Dream of Me."  I'm getting the song down, but it's odd: once I learn one way to play the song, I'm okay.  When I start using different chord voicings, however, is when I start getting a little tripped up.  I guess I'm still on the "re-learning" curve with the guitar, but it'll take time. It'll come in time, though.  Besides, the learning - at whatever level - is too much fun.

1 comment:

Akron Rick said...

RB here again. I, too, disliked disco...can't say I hated it. There's be a tune or two that caught my ear and I'd feel ashamed, like when you eat too many Doritos, for kind of, maybe not totally disliking it.

I'm still not crazy about disco, but, as I've gotten older, I've acquired this "Who am I to judge someone else's artistic tastes?" If I disdain disco (or whatever), am I any more "advanced" that the person who disdains the blues 'cuz "it all sounds the same" or Rachmaninov because "all that classical music is boring"? So I've gotten a bit more chill about disco.

On the other hand, I don't see why I ever liked Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.